Welcome to my blog

I want to make sure that this blog is the best place to learn all your favorite video game music. If you enjoy the content on this blog please Link and Digg this blog.

Blog stats: 3,821 unique visitors since April 1, 2008.

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Starting is easy, finishing is hard!

When I start on a remix, I usually have some good ideas so the first one to two minutes of the song comes easily. After that I usually hit a block and I'm not sure which direction to take. This can get pretty annoying and tends to delay the completion of the track.

Part of the problem is maintaining the quality of the track, if I start off strong and then slack off then I'll end up with a track that has a good intro and then it becomes weak sauce. This is the opposite of what a good track should do (finish off strongly).

When I'm really stuck I use repetition a lot (like hip hop beats) but unlike hip hop beats which can afford to be repetitive because the lyrics will carry the track, my remixes can't be too repetitive because they are instrumentals. The trick is to add little variations to the repetition by using different drum loops, FXs, and instruments.

No comments: